FYI: The current Mark 5 headstock will fit the Mark I, Mark II, Mark V model 500, 505, 510 and 520, and with a little modification of your way tube it will also replace the worn-out head on your Mark VII.
If you choose to purchase a used headstock there are a few things to know:
- From 1954 to 1960 the SS Mark V had a two-tone green paint scheme and contained one fewer bearing and also had a 3/4HP motor.
- From 1960 to 1963 the Mark V headstock was a two-tome gold/tan color. In 1963 the motor was changed to the current 1 1/8HP and one of the two internal belts was improved.
- From 1963 through 1967 the paint was smooth grey.
- From 1972 through today the paint is a pebble-grey.
- In 1984, beginning with serial #190000 SS added an additional bearing to the quill in response to pressure from Taiwanese knock-offs which featured this improvement and because it was a good idea.
- As you can see in the photo above, in 1991 the switch was moved a bit to the left (it used to be centered over the speed dial). This was done to meet Canadian safety requirements which specify that the switch cannot be covered by the tabletop. The switch also now features a removable "key", which if removed can prevent unauthorized use.
Click here for Shopsmith Mark V Replacement Headstock listings Click here for Shopsmith 10E, 10ER Replacement Headstock listings Click here for Shopsmith Mark II Replacement Headstock listings (Very light activity) Click here for Shopsmith Mark VII Replacement Headstock listings (Very light activity)
On last link. Our analytical data shows us that we've had a surprising number of folks who have gone from our site and have purchased either Shopsmith Service instruction DVD's or Headstock service from one specific eBayer named Jacob Anderson. I have no direct contact with Jacob but have "known" him for years through a couple Yahoo groups relating to Shopsmith and Sawsmith tools, and based on his feedback (currently 100% positive from over 2000 buyers!) it looks like he's the real deal.
The current DVD titles from Jacob include:
"Repair your Shopsmith Mark V headstock"
"Tuneup & repair your Shopsmith Bandsaw"
Here's a link to Jacob's Shopsmith Service items on eBay
If you've had any experience with Jacob's products or service please click on the comment link below and tell us about your experience.
Below is a very odd video from author Nick Engler on removing rust from Mark V tubes using potatoes!